Daily Southern Hemisphere Annular Mode (SAM) Index
or Antarctic Oscillation (AAO) Index
The daily SAM index (SAMI) or AAO index (AAOI) is defined as same as monthly SAM (AAO) index except for the daily resolution.
Correlation maps between daily SLP anomalies in the SH (1979.1.1-2006.12.31) and (a) the daily SAMI and (b) the daily AAO index (ftp://ftp.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/cwlinks/).. The contour interval is 0.1. The red (blue) shaded area indicates significant at the 99.9% confidence level, and the efficient freedom of degrees is estimated at each grid (Davis 1976). The latitude lines are at 10 degree intervals starting with the equator at the edges.
- Feng, J., J. P. Li, and Y. Li, 2010: Is there a relationship between the SAM and southwest Western Australian winter rainfall?. J. Climate, 23, 6082-6089.
- Wu, Z. W., J. P. Li, B. Wang, and X. H. Liu, 2009: Can the Southern Hemisphere annular mode affect China winter monsoon? J. Geophys. Res., 114, D11107, doi:10.1029/2008JD011501.
- Nan, S. L., and J. P. Li, 2003: The relationship between summer precipitation in the Yangtze River valley and the previous Southern Hemisphere Annular Mode. Geophys. Res. Lett., 30(24), 2266, doi: 10.1029/2003GL018381.
- Li, J. P., 2005: Coupled air-sea oscillations and climate variations in China, in: Climate and Environmental Evolution in China (First Volume), Edt. D. Qin, Beijing: China Meteorological Press, 324-333.
- Gong, D. Y., and S. W. Wang, 1999: Definition of Antarctic Oscillation Index. Geophys. Res. Lett., 26, 459-462.
- Thompson, D. W. J., and J. M. Wallace, 2000: Annular modes in the extratropical circulation. Part I: Month-to-month variability. J. Climate, 13, 1000-1016.
- Li, X. F., and J. P. Li, 2009: Main submonthly timescales of Northern and Southern Hemisphere annual modes. Chinese J. Atmos. Sci., 33(2), 215-231.
- Davis, R. E., 1976: Predictability of Sea Surface Temperature and Sea Level Pressure Anomalies over the North Pacific Ocean. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 6, 249-266.
SAM index (AAO index)
You can download this file from here (right-click then select "Save Target As" or "Save Link As").
for year = 1948 to 2013
format (i7,365f7.2) year, 365 * daily value in the Average Year
format (i7,366f7.2) year, 366 * daily value in the Leap Year
Note: (1) Missing values represented by -99.99;
(2) The reference period is 1958-2000.
Related Link: http://cmdp.ncc.cma.gov.cn/station/cn_annular_mode.php?periodType=Daily&Elem=SAMI